Possible Afternoon Activities
We have not made any plans for afternoon activities. With 10 cars, we don’t all need to do the same. The possibilities we have thought of are shown below. For more information on these, click on the links, and do notice that they are not all open every day. If you know of any other interesting possibilities, please tell me so that I can add them to this page.
Saturday and Sunday
- Arundel Castle is privately owned. They have a tulip festival while we are in the area.
- The Arundel Wetland Centre is associated with Slimbridge. If you are interested in water birds, you could easily spend an entire afternoon here.
- There is a lot to see in Brighton, but it is difficult to recommend a trip. The park-and-ride car park is far too small, and the traffic was so heavy that the 20 miles back to Abingworth took about 1½ hours.
- Nymans Garden is one of the top National Trust gardens. It is extensive enough for a full afternoon trip.
- If you haven’t had enough walking, you could visit the National Trust’s Slindon Estate.
- Bignor Roman Villa has mosaic floors which are claimed to be among the best in the country.
- Parham House is a privately-owned Elizabethan House with extensive gardens close to Storrington.
- Pulborough Brooks RSPB Reserve is near Storrington.
- Amberley Museum is a large outdoor museum dedicated to the industrial heritage of the area.
These places are all on possible routes home.
- The National Trust’s Petworth House is a large mansion which houses an art collection, and is surrounded by extensive grounds.
- Chichester is an attractive Roman city which still has most of its walls. The cathedral is worth a visit.
- Fishbourne Roman Palace and Gardens. This is a very large Roman building. A large part of it is now under cover and has raised walkways to help you appreciate it in comfort.
National Trust Garden at Nymans
© Copyright Arnold